Fashion has risen to the level of cultural acceptance in Africa and though it has been said to represent $1 trillion of World’s Gross Income, Africa is yet to take her place economically. Recent news with Vogue Italia Editor-In-Chief Franca Sozzani visiting Nigeria’s fashion capital – Lagos with Roberto Cavalli and previously in Ghana to visit designer Kofi Ansah (see video here) This is all fantastic including the fact that African Designers have featured in lots of international shows but the industry in Africa, especially West Africa is yet to benefit from such shows and such appearances from internationl designers and magazine representives, economically.
We support the business side of African fashion and textiles and hence one of the reasons why this enterprise Africa Fashion Guide was birthed to highlight this industry. This is why we are interested to hear that the Fashion Designer’s Association Of Nigeria(FADAN) and Federation Of West African Designers are organising a 3-Day Fashion Festival in March 2012. The event is to address the key issues of commercial operations of fashion business and international aspects with a view to defining the African fashion industry within the global system. There will be Seminars, Trade Fair/Exhibition, Runway Shows and a Gala Night.
Headed by the National Secretary Wumi Oluwadare The Fashion Designers Association of Nigeria (FADAN) with the motto “Creativity and Style” is the umbrella body for the fashion designing profession in Nigeria. As a Non-Governmental Oorganization (NGO), the body is saddled with the major responsibility of protecting the rights of its members. The Association was registered in 1989 by the Federal Ministry of Trade and Corporate Affairs, now known as the Corporate Affairs Commission.
With state chapters all over the country, FADAN has been able to uphold Nigeria’s culture through fashion and style, prop up a spirit of togetherness amongst all professional fashion designers in Nigeria, amongst other achievements. These have been achieved through various programmes such as exhibitions, fashion shows, talent hunt, seminars, and workshops within and outside the country. FADAN initiated the establishment of the Federation of Designers of West Africa (FEDAWA)with fourteen West African countries as its members.
The Fashion Designers Association of Nigeria will be organizing the first edition of the Nigerian FADAN Fashion Festival at the prestigious EKO HOTEL. The aim of the fashion festival is to promote the fashion, commerce and culture of Nigerians as a nation and further the deliberate action of restructuring Nigeria’s fashion industry as an emerging African fashion leader and Lagos as the African fashion capital. The Fashion Festival is going to be a 3-day event and will feature several events daily.
- Exhibition to be declared open by the Honorable Minister for Trade and Investment to be received by the Lagos state Governor His Excellency, Mr.Babatunde Fashola (SAN).
- Also present at the opening ceremony will be Federal and State Ministers for Tourism, Culture and National orientation.
- Textile, leather, accessories and garment manufacturers in Nigeria will be displaying their products.
- Seminar and fashion show by Nigerian designers and invited West African designes.
- Top Nigerian musicians will also be featured.
“THE HUNT” a Talent Hunt Competition will feature Da Viva’s latest Fabric collection on stage in Swarovski gems. This is designed to give young up-coming designers the opportunity to launch their line. Participants for the competition are selected from a nationwide audition and the best 15 of the participants are selected for the final competition.
The competition is planned to be a world class fashion competition that includes Red Carpet, Cocktail, Photography and an explosive Runway show. Winners of The Hunt competition will win fabulous prizes that included factory equipment and a start-up grant from the association and a chance to show their collection at an international fashion show to be unveiled at the end of the competition.
Awards will be given to all participating designers with 2 designers aged between 18 and 25 selected for Special Prizes by the Sponsors.
Models at the event will also be judged, with the best 3 models winning cash prizes of 250,000 naira each and a place in the advert campaign of the Sponsors.
- Closing ceremony and Gala Night featuring top Nigerian designers
- Runway show and a special appearance by a top UK based Nigerian designer.
- This event will be declared open by the First Lady of Nigeria, ‘Dame Patience Jonathan, the Grand Patron of the Association in attendance with wives of State Governors and other celebrities.
- Selected fashion journalist, style writers and stylist will also be given awards at the event for their contribution to the fashion industry.
Keep posted with us for more information.